Sunday 23 March 2014

I prefer Nigeria to America –Prinxes Elam, American artiste

Prinxes Elam

Background
I am black American from Los Angeles, California.  My parents are mixed, one is an African American and the other is white.  I studied music, marketing and business at the University of Oregon.   I was raised in Hollywood and the environment has had a huge impact on me.  I have been in entertainment all my life.  Hollywood is a place where millions of people from all over the world come to look for opportunities. It is oversaturated.   I never felt like I really had a connection there.

Music
I have just released a mix tape consisting of afro pop, hip hop and rhythm and blues. Your love don be is the first single on the tape and we are already getting some airplay on Soundcity and Hip TV.  I started singing in my grandfather’s church in America from the age of three.   My music cuts across various genres.
Moving to Nigeria
I moved to Nigeria four months ago.  Coming to Africa was a spiritual decision.  I feel God has been preparing me for this move all my life. Back in America, while other people focused on things going on in my area, I was busy watching Nollywood films. I always wanted to know my African roots.  I felt I did not really belong in America.
Since I arrived, I have received a lot of positive gestures from people; I have been meeting all types of people in the industry and trying to work with artistes on all levels.
Impression of Africa
I have lived in Europe, France and Canada. As an American, I have observed that Nigerian music is getting bigger and bigger.  Africa  is very  wealthy but it is  untapped, there is a lot that needs to be done here and I hope one day in the future, I will be able to do something more for the people here.   Africa is the new frontier. The African dream should be the main focus of people right now because it is an open terrain.  Getting established here is easy and does not require the length of time it takes to get established in America.  As long as you have the dedication, commitment and determination, the place is wide open for you to thrive.
Unpleasant moment
I came to Nigeria initially for the purpose of taking part in a Nollywood movie. We had planned the film for a year and I kept talking to the producer on phone for one year.  But he had some financial issues and he abandoned me. I got the visa through him but as soon as I arrived Nigeria, it was a different ballgame. I  met them one day and the next day, they were telling me stories. They disappeared and left me on my own.   I had nobody and I did not know where to go. I have been travelling and I know how to find my way around but I have never been to Africa before and the whole experience was frightening. I stayed in the hotel for two more days after they left. Then God sent somebody who helped me pay the hotel bills.  I drove all the way from Abuja to Lagos.  My friends in Los Angeles kept calling people they know over here   to help me with accommodation.  People responded, coming from nowhere to help me with accommodation. They also helped me with my music.
Performing at the All Star Music Festival
Kcee’s manager was the one who gave me that opportunity to feature at the music festival. They had never seen me perform before and they put me on right after Tiwa Savage.  I felt so much love from him and from the crowd. As I was performing, I was just looking out. It was my first time of performing in Nigeria and I did not know if they were going to accept me or not.  When I saw the encouragement and love from the crowd, I just became myself on the stage.  It was very beautiful.  I felt that it was the right place for me to be.
Collaborations
I would love to work with Tiwa Savage. I admire her a lot.  She has been very successful with her career.  I would also like to work with   Banky W, D’banj, Don Jazzy and Davido as well as Scales.
Challenges for young artistes in LA
There is a lot of negative influence in Hollywood.  There are so many negative things one has to dodge.  There are drugs, people who want to take other people’s talents, people who just want you to give away yourself before they can help you.   They want you to give away yourself, physically, mentally and spiritually.  There are men and women who are willing to sell their bodies and souls in a bid to be on top and hang out with people in high places.  They get lost in drugs and all kinds of disgusting things. Homosexuality is really taking over big time there. One has to be spiritually strong in order not to be influenced.
Approach to style
I love to wear African clothes designed in American style. I love African fabrics and the fact that people are very free with their styles.

No comments:

Post a Comment